"This illness is to fatigue,
what a match is to a nuclear bomb.
It's an absurd mischaracterization!"
~Laura Hillenbrand

Pages

December 17, 2007

Nutcracker Week


Nutcracker Week is here!

Saturday and Sunday were complete run-through's in costume at the Studio, while, at the same time, a crew of volunteers were loading everything into the theater.

I had hoped to attend rehearsal on Sunday. Bill was scheduled to oversee the load-in crew. I awoke and didn't feel very good at all. But with the help of a few medications, I decided to go. I'm so glad I did.

I have special permission to sit by the mirrors and watch the whole rehearsal. I even gave some opinions on costuming, took a few notes for the Director and chatted with one of the little dancers who sat next to me. I also sketched and hope to do some paintings of the dancers soon.

I was very worn out about an hour before we could leave - but I had a wonderful time! Most of all, I enjoyed being with Ellen!

The pictures I've shared in this blog are Ellen and one of her friends, Leah, in their "Doll" costumes. They love to laugh and this old fashioned hand game is one they do in their "Doll Box" (in the dark) before they are let out to dance! :-)



Tonight is what they call a "Tech rehearsal". They are the longest, most trying rehearsals for everyone involved! I stayed home with Chris tonight. We did a bit of Christmas baking. He made the most delicious Apple Cranberry pie and I made Orange Cranberry Bread. Yum!

Bill and Ellen will be home very late. Tomorrow is another Tech rehearsal - one for each of the two casts. I won't go to that either.

But Wed and Thurs are Dress Rehearsal's and I hope to go to both. They are not open to the public at all, but once again, I have special permission to be there, and even have a special spot sitting next to the Director during these rehearsals too. Jan is a good friend and so sweet to include me as much as she does. I can't wait!

Thanks for letting me share my joy of watching and experiencing Ellen's gift of Dance! Isn't she a cutie?


Costumes are copyrighted to Columbia Dance
No copies of the images or costumes are allowed.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment