"This illness is to fatigue,
what a match is to a nuclear bomb.
It's an absurd mischaracterization!"
~Laura Hillenbrand

Pages

December 13, 2007

The Nutcracker is Coming!


This past weekend I had the great pleasure of attending a few hours of rehearsal for Columbia Dance 's "The Nutcracker"

Jan Hurst, the Artistic Director, and I have been friends for many years. This is the studio that Ellen has danced at since she was in Kindergarten - in fact, Jan was her pre-ballet teacher!

Ellen has dreamed, for several years now, of dancing the part of "Spanish". Jan loves to give her Seniors their dream parts, if she can, and this year, Ellen is dancing Spanish, Doll, Snow and Waltz Core!

Sunday, was a full run through of ACT II - this is the Act with with all the variations including Waltz. Bill is working most of the week as Stage Manager, so we went together. He ran through is light and dancer cues, while I watched, sketched dancers and took lots of reference photos. Below is a picture I took while they were rehearsing the closing.



They aren't in costume, though, the dancers who will be wearing tutu's have rehearsal tutu's on. The funny little colored crowns you see is their way of identifying who is who - though the two Spanish dancers have their fans so Ellen gets away with not wearing a funny crown LOL!

I really miss being in this production. But pray with me that I'll have the strength and stamina to attend some of the rehearsals and performances during the week they are in the Theater! I have several favorite spots to watch from the wings. And I like to see the dress rehearsals from the auditorium. I know I may have my sites set a bit too high... I'm trying not to set myself up for disappointment.

The last two days have been very poor, health wise. I might have a cold... it's often hard to tell if I am really sick or just POTS sick. Being well enough to go to tech week and performances means the world to me!

I can't wait to see Ellen on stage with her bright red Spanish tutu. It's a short dance - but one with LOTS of spunk... just perfect for her - I know she'll be hamming it up!

If you live near us and want to come to The Nutcracker this year - the shows are Friday Dec. 21 - Sun Dec 23. Times are: Friday 7:00pm, Sat 2:00pm and 7:00pm and Sun 1:00pm and 5:00pm.

If you want to see Ellen's parts - she dances Spanish, Snow and Waltz on Friday, Saturday Matinée she dances all her parts!!! Saturday eve is Doll, Snow and Waltz core, Sunday matinées is only Snow and Waltz core and Sunday at 5:00 is Spanish, Snow and Waltz core... Got all that??

Tickets to the Matinées often sell out so you might want to purchase them ahead of time. Tickets are being sold in Camas at "My Nana's Cottage/Francieso" on 4th street, and are also available at Beacock's Music and at the Studio - 3101 Main Street, Vancouver. The phone number is 360-737-1922 if you want to put tickets into Will Call.

Ooooo - I'm so excited... I LOVE Nutcracker time and I LOVE Christmas!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, Melanie! What a great picture of Ellen. I am so glad you got to go to a rehearsal...and I hope you get to go to more when they are in full costume.

    I am completely behind on your blog. And I have to admit that I think Gmail is the best thing since sliced bread, YET it sent your last two blog posts to my spam folder! How dare they do that! Here I was wondering why you had been so quiet!

    So, I have a bit of catching up to do, but I'm starting with the Nutcracker b/c you love it so much! I love the musical accompianment!!! (sp?)

    Later alligator!!!

    Love, Emily

    ReplyDelete