"This illness is to fatigue,
what a match is to a nuclear bomb.
It's an absurd mischaracterization!"
~Laura Hillenbrand

Pages

December 22, 2007

Opening Night


Once again, picture (c) 2007 M. Pruitt
Costumes copyrighted to Columbia Dance


Yes, Emily - as you put in your comment below, attending this much Nutcracker IS my "Olympics" - to my body at least.... did I win the gold medal??

Last night was Opening Night and the dancers were ready. It was a full house - a fantastic audience which always brings out the best in the dancers.

The picture above is Ellen and one of her best friends. They've been dancing together since they were about 8 - and this picture is a tradition. They began it the year they were little angels (the youngest - tiniest part in our Nutcracker) and they stood across the stage from each other in the wings. Just before going on... they would do this little signal. And here they are... grown up and Principal Dancers in the show!

I made it to Opening Night. By the end of the show, I was so worn out, all I could do is lay on the floor in the Artistic Directors room. By the time we got home, my body was not happy with me at all. I was awake until 2:00 am - shivers, shakes, heart pounding, muscles tense and twitching... it's a horrible feeling to have these symptoms flares. With the help of some medication, thankfully, I did sleep part if the night.

I have one more medication up my sleeve to try to make to today's Matinee (many of the medications that I can take to help get through an activity are things that I can only take once in a great while). But I told Ellen that was probably going to be the end for me. What a sweetie - she's so understanding and supportive! Disappointed, of course, that I won't see her closing "Spanish", but so sweet about it. (I guess I only won the Silver medal LOL!)

That's something every person with a Chronic Illness needs - an understanding and accepting loved one. I'm thankful to have several!

I'm glad I could share this journey to The Land of Sweets with all of you!

2 comments:

  1. You totally win the Gold medal! I think I come in about 100th in this race! haha. My Gold medal is making it to the mailbox I think.

    Even though there is pain in the losses you feel during this time and the things you are unable to do....your joy is palpable and I am grateful to hear your joy. The contrast can be so overwhelming at times can't it? It's so joyful and so painful all at once it absolutely can overwhelm me.

    That is how I feel right now--visitors are here and I'm struggling to enjoy them. It's such a strange state of being.

    I hope you have a very blessed Christmas day.

    Lots of love,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie,
    Thank you so much for sharing all about Nutcracker and I praise God that with His help and your endurance you did "win the gold" (of making it to as many of the events/showings you were able to)! I feel like I had a "backstage pass" by getting to hear your perspective. Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete