"This illness is to fatigue,
what a match is to a nuclear bomb.
It's an absurd mischaracterization!"
~Laura Hillenbrand

Pages

April 13, 2008

Who Am I?

(c) M Pruitt 2008
Elephant and Stone Bracelet For Sale in my Etsy Store

What a crack up! I am calling myself an artist - but listen to what happened to me on Friday while I was outside photographing the new bracelet shown above. Then you tell me what I am!

I was on my deck, with my camera in hand, working on getting photographs of this new African Elephant bracelet. I stood up and suddenly there was a rushing sound to my left- just off the deck! It was a large deer and when it saw me, it too was startled and bound into the trees behind the deck. Following after it were three more deer - two of which were obviously last years youngsters.

They stopped several feet from me and started munching on ivy and looking at me like I was the stranger. But instead of grabbing my camera and taking lots of pictures.... I started yelling at them to scat and clapping my hands and stomping my feet!

All I could think about were my rose bushes and their brand new leaves! Last year the deer came along one morning and cleaned them off - every leaf and rose bud. I had to wait an extra month for my roses to bloom.

I wasn't going to let those deer think they could come by for another free meal of rose leaves so I stood on the deck looking like a fool - trying to scare the four deer that meandered off into the hillside - laughing at me all the way, I'm sure.

Am I really and artist? Or am I still a rose gardener? You tell me!

Once they were gone... camera still in hand... I realized my silly mistake. What great reference pictures those would have been! But no... it was my roses I thought of first.

I still have my rose garden. I gave up my lovely cottage garden border along my picket fence. I had the most wonderful selection of perennials. I'd moved and removed them till it was just perfect! But when I became to sick to care for it - I finally decided it had to go.

I was even willing for the roses to go... I couldn't care for them either. But my sweet husband took that over. He said there was no way we were getting rid of my roses as long as he could keep them up. I still insist on doing the pruning, but the trophy we won two years ago at the rose show had both our names on it!

So... I'm really not a gardener any more... but, I guess I have a ways to go, until I can really call myself an artist! (Laughing all the way - so you can too!)


No comments:

Post a Comment