"This illness is to fatigue,
what a match is to a nuclear bomb.
It's an absurd mischaracterization!"
~Laura Hillenbrand

Pages

November 8, 2008

Pondering Lifelong Dreams

(c) M Pruitt 2008
TheCreatorPalette


Autumn Song by Sarojini Naidu
Like a joy on the heart of a sorrow,
The sunset hangs on a cloud;
A golden storm of glittering sheaves,
Of fair and frail and fluttering leaves,
The wild wind blows in a cloud.

Hark to a voice that is calling
To my heart in the voice of the wind:
My heart is weary and sad and alone,
For its dreams like the fluttering leaves have gone,
And why should I stay behind?


I found this poem about Autumn and I loved the first verse. It seemed to describe the windy fluttering of the colorful leaves I was trying to depict in this, my newest painting.

But then, as I read the second verse, I was launched into deep thought. There are many times my heart is weary and sad and all alone because my dreams have blown away - like the autumn leaves.

And why should I stay behind? Ah... that's the challenging and intriguing part of this poem... what is there to stay behind for? What is there to persevere for?

Some would say - flee... escape... winter is coming!!!!

But I say - No! After winter comes spring. Death of a dream is only the beginning to new life!

With the Autumn winds blowing away all of my dreams, it makes room for the blossoming of new dreams. I have a choice... will I cling to the old dreams? Then there is nothing to stay for. Will I embrace the new dreams? Embrace new ways, new thoughts, new relationships... embrace LIFE!

I choose to persevere, discover and embrace new dreams. And if those are blown away, I know that they too will be replaced with new.

Do you think this is why God made Autumn so colorful and beautiful? So that we wouldn't despair over winter and loss, but instead, would be reminded through the beauty of Autumn, that even when our dreams are blown away, new dreams will begin to bud?


1 comment:

  1. This poem is beautiful. I have come back to reread it several times. Thank you for posting it!
    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete