"This illness is to fatigue,
what a match is to a nuclear bomb.
It's an absurd mischaracterization!"
~Laura Hillenbrand

Pages

May 7, 2007

Hanging On

This winter, I began a period of decline in energy and brain function. I know, many of you don't see it... that's because I hide away... taking meds to get me out for a short period of time to look somewhat normal.

But what you don't know, is that most days... it takes me several hours of taking in liquids before I can function and even then, it's only for about 2 hours and then I am ready for a nap. And when I say function, I mean I can sit in my recliner, read and write to some friends online or paint.

Sometimes, I begin to lose paitence with this kind of life. One day, in the midst of frustration, I looked out the window during a rain storm. All the leaves had fallen off our Cherry Tree, except one little leaf. I sat there and watched and watched... but through the wind and rain... it hung on.

I thought about how much I want to be like that little leaf. I want to have endurance. I want to be strengthened by God to "hang in there". I want patience through the storm.

That little leaf reminded me of my goals and so I painted this little ACEO (that stands for Art Cards Editions and Originals - it's 2.5"x3.5" - trading card size. I sell a lot of them on eBay) It's titled, "Hanging On".




In the book of Colossians, Paul prays for the people saying...

"And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light." (Colossians 10-12)

You could pray these words for me. Many days, I expereince great contenetment and peace with my situation. But I continually need others who will lift me up and ask for God to give me endurance, patience and joy.

"Hanging On" through His Grace,
Melanie

2 comments:

  1. Hebrews 12:1-3
    "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

    Even when you think you are falling behind in this race - you are not ... He carries you.
    Even when you feel so weary and the reality is that you are unable to do what you have planned for the day - He is completely and fully in control of every step (or pause) in your life. The mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps... even when the steps are so small it seems we aren't even moving!

    "He Covers Me
    Oh Lord I feel so barren and ashamed of who I am
    How I often I fail, I hid it well
    It is a lie I cannot defend
    So I lean upon your mercy
    As I confess my sin to you
    There’s no easy way
    No saving face
    When I finally see the truth
    So let my life be filled with only you
    I know someday I will be free
    The weight of sin shall be released
    But for now He covers me
    And though the trials never end
    I’ve learned to take them as my friend
    For each day He covers me
    Sometimes the pressure builds around me
    And I feel about to break
    I suffer painfully from wrongs done to me
    But vengence isn’t mine to take
    So let me glory in my weakness
    Until your strength’s revealed in me
    It is your grace alone
    That helps me carry on
    To be the man I long to be
    So let your life be perfected Lord in me
    Until it’s You they see
    I know someday I will be free
    The weight of sin shall be released
    But for now He covers me
    And though the trials never end
    I’ve learned to take them as my friend
    For each day He covers me
    Though heartache surrounds me
    I know your love is around me
    Nothing can separate me from you
    And I know it’s true"

    (Steve Camp "He Covers me)

    joy in the journey,
    katey-D
    Blueyeduck Studios

    ~xo~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katey - you are a very very dear friend to me. I thank God for you so often!

    ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete